UMass Boston and BC High Dedicate New Monan Park Baseball Complex May 6
The much anticipated Monan Park has opened in time for the spring high school and college baseball season. To celebrate, UMass Boston and Boston College High School will host a dedication and a ceremonial first pitch on Friday, May 6, at 3 p.m. on the new field.
The complex is a public/private partnership supported by a $2 million gift from the Yawkey Foundation. Monan Park is named after J. Donald Monan, SJ to honor his outstanding educational leadership, vision, and commitment to the city of Boston. In that spirit, several tournaments and Greater Boston youth leagues will play at Monan Park each summer after the BC High and UMass Boston seasons conclude.
Monan Park sits within the property lines of BC High and includes:
- A full-sized competition stadium for high school and collegiate level games. The main field is the exact dimensions of Fenway Park and includes fencing, bullpens, warning track, batter’s eye, full-sized dugouts, and batting cages.
- A full synthetic turf facility, with clay pitcher’s mound.
- Stadium seating for 500 spectators, full lighting for evening games and practices, and a press box.
- Secondary playing field suitable for practice, sub-varsity games, and community use.
- Full-sized soccer field within secondary baseball field.
A commitment to community engagement is a hallmark of both BC High and UMass Boston. Monan Park will not only enhance athletic opportunities for these schools, but it will also serve as a resource for the youth of the community. This summer, the baseball stadium will host the 2016 Bay State Summer Games Baseball Showcase, the Boston Urban Baseball Showcase, and the Massachusetts vs. Connecticut Junior All-Star Game. In all, more than 1,000 youth and collegiate athletes are anticipated to directly benefit from this complex on an annual basis.