On Saturday, April 19th, high school students from all over the United States will test their skills in the finals of the Third Annual "Chinese Bridge" Speech Contest, sponsored by the University of Massachusetts Confucius Institute, and CLASS, the Chinese Language Association for Secondary Schools. The winning students will receive trophies and iPods. For the winners, Hanban (The Office of Chinese Language Council International) will be awarding a separate prize-three students who reside in the Northeast will be chosen for summer study in Beijing.
The finalists are divided into two groups, depending on how many years they have studied Chinese. Finalists will deliver a speech in Chinese and will then answer five questions from the judges. Contestants are scored on their pronunciation, grammar, sentence structure, manner, and responses to judges' question. Two first prizes, four second prizes and 18 third prizes will be awarded.
The speech contest was first held in 2005 in Washington, D.C. This is the second year that the contest has been hosted by the Confucius Institute located on the UMass Boston campus, and participation has doubled for this year's event.
- Ozzie Allenberg, Bentley Upper School, CA
- Raechel Banks, The Hockaday School, TX
- Harrison Bigler, Kingswood-Oxford School, CT
- Daisy Bourne, Verona High School, NJ
- Abrianna Bowie, Muriel Snowden International School, MA
- Min Kyung Kim, Oak Hall School, FL
- David Liew, Highland Park High School, IL
- Jahwai Lynch, Buckingham Browne & Nichols, MA
- Olenka Malarccka, Bentley Upper School, CA
- Helena Mangverra, Thomas Jefferson High School For Science and Technology, VA
- Amelia Sargent, The Hockaday School, TX
- Michael Spence, Belmont Hill School, MA
- Lendsey Thicklin, Martin Luther King Magnet High School, TN
- Caroline Vetrano, Verona High School, NJ
View pictures from last year's exciting event!
- Olivia Corus, Northwestern Regional 7 High School, CT
- Trevor Davis, Deerfield Academy, MA
- William Dunn, Belmont Hill School, MA
- Evan Extine, Randolph School, AL
- Anna Frechette, Buckingham Browne & Nichols, MA
- Alexandra Over, Sidwell Friends School, Washington DC
- Jeanette Miranda, Thomas Jefferson High School For Science and Technology, VA
- Luke Rosenbloom, Saint Ann's School, NY
- Megan Schoenberg, Saint Ann's School, NY
- Samantha Silverberg, Punahou School, HI
The PDF files on this page require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.